Seriously.

Somebody please remind my kids that someday they will be longing for food like mom used to make.

torsdag 16 augusti 2012

Curry-coconut chicken with tropical pico de gallo



Yesterday was a stressful day. The toddler has had a fever, likely a result of her vaccination a week and a half ago. She has slept like crap and therefore I have slept like crap. I tried to convince the big girl to go to her school's day program anyway, but if the toddler and I were going to be home, she was too. The toddler was out of diapers, so I had to drag everybody to the grocery store and get some, so therefore tried to make a list and pick up a few meals as well. 

It started out well. The toddler was being a trooper despite having a low grade fever and being slightly whiny, and the big girl is generally good about helping me keep her sister safe and busy. Unfortunately, this particular shopping trip quickly spiraled into disaster. Well, I suppose disaster is relative. Nobody got hurt, but my stress-o-meter was off the charts due to the involuntary insomnia. 

The toddler just had to get out of the cart, and was preparing herself to climb out unless I removed her, so I let her down. The big girl was given the task of following her while I tried to quickly collect all the produce I needed. On this particular trip, the big girl was in a begging mood. You know the kind. "Mom, can I get this?" over and over and over. I am okay with begging for produce. Even expensive produce. You want a Lychee? Sure, toss it in. However, the incessant whining and begging was starting to drive me nuts. Besides making me insane, she wasn't doing as good a job of corralling her sister as she usually does, which meant the toddler decided of her own accord that it was sample day. She bit a nectarine. She bit a passion fruit. She bit a couple bell peppers. She bit a chili pepper in half. I was trying to keep an eye on her while fending off the whining and shopping for what I needed, but I was always just a little too slow to prevent it. Since I am a person with conscience, I had to go with the "you bite it, you buy it" policy. So we bought all sorts of stuff that I hadn't intended on buying. The result? Tropical fruit pico de gallo. 

The lychees that the big girl had to have, then refused to eat. I even thought it looked like an eyeball once peeled, but it tasted good. In it went. 
The mango I did actually mean to buy was kept company by the previously bitten nectarine and peach. 
The chili pepper the toddler bit in half.
Silver onion
Straining the passion fruit the toddler bit.
Rolling a lime to release the juice
One last surprise strawberry from our patch outside
Along with a little cilantro from the garden
A little salt, a stir, and voilá
A can of coconut milk
A tablespoon of curry powder and 1/8 tsp. cayenne
1 minced mild onion and the juice of 1 lime

Poured over chicken and baked at 350F/175C for 45 minutes until done in center.
Mama needed a drink after that day, so I made myself a Pina Colada. 

Previously bitten Tropical fruit Pico de Gallo

1 mango, chopped
1 passion fruit, strained
2 lycheese, chopped
1 mild onion, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1-2 minced chili peppers
juice of 1 lime
Strawberries (optional)
2 peaches or nectarines, chopped
a few tablespoons cilantro, minced
salt to taste

Combine and let rest a while. Stir before serving. The salt draws more liquid out of the fruit as it rests.

Curry-coconut chicken

1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
1 T curry powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste
1 finely chopped onion
juice of 1 lime
3-4 chicken breast filets
White rice

Combine first 6 ingredients. Lightly oil an oven-safe form or spray with cooking spray. Place chicken in the form and pour sauce over. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, until cooked through. Boil white rice according to directions on package and serve topped with chicken and sauce. Serve with Tropical pico de gallo or mango chutney if you prefer, and vegetable of your choice. 

During the ill-fated shopping trip, I told big girl to stop whining. She told me "This isn't whining, this is complaining." Then: "Now this is whining" and proceeded to whine in a manner reminiscent of fingernails on a chalkboard. 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar