Seriously.

Somebody please remind my kids that someday they will be longing for food like mom used to make.

söndag 29 juli 2012

Sweet Cherry Upside-down Cake


I did my weekly grocery-shopping run today, and ran amok in the produce department. There is something so special about summer, when all sorts of yummy things are in season. One of the things that threw themselves in my cart as I walked past was a bag of cherries. They told me that they needed to be made into a cobbler or something. I have never done a cobbler, and wasn't totally thrilled by any of the recipes I found at first glance, so I just made something up. It turned out to be more upside-down cake than cobbler, but whatever. 

Cherries, pitted and halved

Making the filling

Making the cake


The finished filling, pre-batter

Batter

Ready to go in the oven

Done!

Sweet Cherry Upside-down Cake

For filling:
3 c. Sweet cherries, halved and pitted
1/4 c. white sugar
2 1/2 T oats
1/8 c. water

Simmer in saucepan on medium-low heat while stirring until liquid thickens.
Pour into 8x8 inch oven-safe form. 

For batter, combine:
1/3 c. oats
1/4 c. white flour
1/4 c. graham flour
1 t. baking powder
50 g butter, cubed. 

Beat together:
1 egg
2 T milk

Stir into batter until just combined. Drop by spoonfuls onto the top of the filling. Bake in preheated 400F/200C oven for about 25 minutes, until top turns golden. Serve while warm and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Serves 4. 

The big girl wouldn't eat it. Red foods, you know. The toddler thought the cherries were weird, so she just ate the cake part, but liked it. I would have been content with just cooking the cherry filling and serving with ice cream. I may do that next time. I love cherry pie filling. 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar